What is an Air Fryer?
So, What is an Air Fryer? If you have been wondering what an air fryer is, you have come to the right place.
In this blog post, we will give you a comprehensive guide to air fryers. What are they? What do they do? How do they work? We will answer all of your questions! Plus, we will provide a list of the best air fryers on the market in 2022.
So whether you are just curious about air fryers or are in the market for one, this blog post has got you covered!
The History of Air Frying!
No one can decide when air fryers became "mainstream." Some say it was after Oprah Winfrey gifted everyone in her audience with an air fryer on her show. Others claim it was when the first air fryer cookbooks were published. But the truth is, air fryers have been around for much longer than that.
The earliest air fryers date back to the early 1800s. At that time, they were nothing more than hot-air heaters that food was placed in to cook. It wasn't until the 1950s that French inventor Pierre Hugues created the first electric air fryer. His device didn't become popular, though, until decades later.
While air fryers have been around for a while, they only started becoming mainstream in the past few years. Thanks to social media and influencers, air fryers have become one of the most popular kitchen appliances. And it’s not hard to see why! Air fryers offer a healthier alternative to traditionally fried foods. They use less oil and can cook food faster than a traditional oven.
Air fryers first started becoming popular in the US in 2015. But it wasn’t until 2017 that they really started taking off. In 2018, air fryer sales doubled from the previous year. And 2019 is on track to be even bigger for air fryers.
What is an air fryer?
An air fryer is a kitchen appliance that cooks food by circulating hot air around it. It work by using a heating element to heat the air in the cooking chamber to higher than the boiling point of water. This causes the water in food items to evaporate and form a crisp golden-brown coating similar to what you would get from deep frying, but without all the oil.
Air fryers come in many different shapes and sizes, but most have a basket or tray where you put the food, and a heating element and fan motor inside an encasing. Some models have additional features like timers and temperature controls. Air fryers typically range in price from $30 to $200.
If you love fried food but are looking for a healthier alternative, an air fryer is a great option! Air fryers use less oil than traditional frying methods, and they can cook food faster than an oven. Plus, they are relatively easy to use. Just add your food to the basket, set the timer, and let the air fryer do its job!
How do air fryers work?
Air fryers work by circulating hot air around food to cook it. The air is heated using a heating element, and circulated using a fan. This circulates the hot air around the food, cooking it evenly on all sides. many air fryers also have a timer that will turn off the appliance once the food is cooked.
Air fryers are a trendy kitchen appliance that promise to be a healthier alternative to deep frying foods. But how do they work?
1. Place your food in the basket
Air fryers come with a basket or tray where you place the food. The size of the basket will determine how much food you can cook at one time.
Most air fryers have a heating element and fan motor inside an encasing. The fan circulates the hot air around the food, cooking it evenly on all sides
2. Set the time and temperature
Most air fryers have a timer that will turn off the appliance once the food is cooked. Some models also have temperature controls.
The ideal temperature for air frying is between 375 and 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Cooking times will vary depending on what you are cooking. For example, french fries can be cooked in as little as 15 minutes, while chicken wings may take up to 30 minutes.
3. Let the food cook
Once the timer is set, the air fryer will do its job! Just let it cook until the food is crispy and golden-brown.
And that’s it! Air fryers are pretty simple to use. Just add your food to the basket, set the timer, and let it cook. In no time at all, you’ll have a delicious and healthy meal!
How to Clean an Air Fryer
An air fryer is a great way to cook food without adding extra fat and calories. However, like any other kitchen appliance, it needs to be cleaned regularly to keep it in good working order.
Here's how to clean an air fryer:
- Unplug the air fryer and allow it to cool completely before cleaning.
- Wipe down the exterior of the machine with a damp cloth.
- Remove the cooking basket and wash it in warm, soapy water. Rinse well and allow to dry thoroughly before putting back in the machine.
- Clean the inside of the air fryer by spraying with a mild vinegar solution or baking soda mixture (1 tablespoon baking soda combined with ½ cup water).
- Wipe clean with a damp cloth.
- Dry the air fryer thoroughly before using again.
- Cleaning an air fryer is pretty simple. Just unplug the machine, wipe down the exterior, remove the cooking basket and wash it in warm, soapy water. Rinse well and allow to dry thoroughly before putting back in the machine. You can also clean the inside of the air fryer by spraying with a mild vinegar solution or baking soda mixture ( Combine one tablespoon baking soda with ½ cup water). Wipe clean with a damp cloth and dry thoroughly before using again.
By following these simple steps, you can keep your air fryer in good working order and enjoy healthy, delicious meals for years to come!
What Can you Cook in an Air Fryer?
Air fryers are all the rage these days. And for good reason! They’re a healthier alternative to deep frying, and can cook up a variety of foods. Here are some ideas of what you can cook in an air fryer:
- Chicken wings
- Potatoes (fries, wedges, roasted)
- Vegetables (zucchini chips, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower)
- Pizza rolls
- Egg rolls
- chicken nuggets
the list goes on! Really, you can air fry just about anything. And the best part is that everything comes out crispy and flavorful without all the extra fat and calories. So next time you’re looking for a healthier way to cook, reach for the air fryer!
As you can see, there are endless possibilities when it comes to cooking with an air fryer. So whether you’re looking for a healthier alternative to deep frying or just want to try something new, be sure to give air frying a try!
The Pros and Cons of Air Fryers
Now that you know all about air fryers, it’s time to decide if one is right for you. Here are some pros and cons of air fryers to help you make your decision:
-Healthier alternative to deep frying
-Can cook a variety of foods
- food comes out crispy and flavorful
-May require trial and error to get the cooking time and temperature just right
-Can be more expensive than other kitchen appliances
So, what do you think? Is an air fryer right for you? Weigh the pros and cons and make your decision. And if you decide to go for it, be sure to check out our guide on how to use an air fryer!
What are the best air fryers?
There are a lot of great air fryers on the market these days. Some of the most popular ones are from brands like Philips, T-fal, and Black & Decker.
Each air fryer has its own unique features and benefits, so it can be tough to decide which one is right for you. But in general, some of the key things to look for when choosing an air fryer include:
- The size of the unit - You'll want to choose an air fryer that's big enough to fit the amount of food you want to cook.
- The type of food you want to cook
- Not all air fryers are created equal
- Some are better suited for frying chicken than others
Now lets take a look at the 9 best Air fryers on the market today:
Philips Avance TurboStar Air Fryer
The Philips TurboStar Air Fryer is a great option if you're looking for a healthy alternative to deep frying.
This appliance cooks fries with spectacular flavor and more evenly, while creating crispy shells and tender insides.
Plus, the Quick Control dial and four presets make it easy to cook your favorite dishes. The removable nonstick coated drawer is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning, so you can spend less time fussing with kitchen gadgets and more time enjoying your meals.
It boasts unique turbostar technology for uniform cooking and comes with a double layer rack to cook two items at once.
The only downside is that it's on the pricier side, but it's definitely worth the investment if you're serious about air frying.
Black + Decker Purify Air Fryer
Fried food is delicious, but it's not always the healthiest option. All that oil can really add up, and it's not doing your heart any favors.
The BLACK+DECKER PURIFRY Air Fryer cuts out the oil to give you crispy food without the added fat. A pair of powerful convection fans surrounds food with heated air to cook all of your favorite fried delights quickly and evenly.
The variable temperature control ranges from 175-400 degrees and the 60-minute timer automatically shuts off the machine once cooking is complete. The frying basket has a 2 liter capacity, making it easy to fry up snacks or a main dish for the whole family.
The BLACK+DECKER PURIFRY is the revolutionary way to enjoy delicious fried food without all of the guilt.
- 2L Capacity - The 2-liter (about 8-cup) air-frying basket fits 2-4 servings of your favorite snacks and main dishes
- Qucik and easy cleanup - The nonstick cooking surfaces release food without the need of cooking spray; plus, the air fryer basket and basket separator are dishwasher-safe
- Variable Temperature Control and Indicator Lights - The temperature control ranges from 175-400°F; one indicator light shows when the unit is powered on, and the other turns off when the preheat temperature is reached. Dimensions : 12.625 x 12.625 x 14.500
- Guilt-Free Results - Circulating hot air adds a crispy touch to your favorite fried foods without drenching them in oil and the instruction manual includes tips on cooking times, temperatures, and quantities
- Included Components: (1) Deep Fryer, (1) Dishwasher-Safe Basket
The only downside to this air fryer is that it doesn't have a lot of extra features like some of the other models on this list. But it's a great basic air fry er that gets the job done.
PowerXL Vortex Air Fryer
Bored of your same old, greasy French fries? Tired of eating unhealthy food? Well then – meet your new best friend: the PowerXL Air Fryer 7 QT Maxx Classic!
This top-of-the-line air fryer uses hotter, faster air flow than ever before to create the crispiest, piping hot golden-fried taste and texture on all of your fried food favorites – with up to 70% fewer calories from fat vs. deep fryer oil!
Plus, its LED digital display panel with 7 one-touch presets means you can air fry / French fry, broil / fish, roast, bake, shrimp, chicken or steak with just the touch of a button.
5 in 1 functionality - replaces your countertop convection oven, toaster oven, baking oven, rotisserie grill and fryer. Air fry extra-large food like a 24 lb turkey or 22 lb roast
Heathier frying - up to 70% fewer calories from fat vs. deep fried food; little or no oil required
Sleek space-saving design - less than half the size of a conventional oven with easy-to-clean, nonstick interior. Dimensions: 19.75 x 15.63 x 12.75 inches
Vortex Rapid Air Circulation - cooks food evenly and locks in moisture for tender, juicy results every time
The only downside to this air fryer is that it's on the pricier side. But it has a lot of features and it's a good investment if you're serious about air frying.
Instant Vortex 6 Quart Air Fryer
Introducing the Instant Vortex 6 Quart Air Fryer, the newest addition to the Instant Pot family.
This 4-in-1 air fryer is designed with EvenCrisp Technology to deliver all the crunch and tenderness of deep-frying with 95% less oil. With one-touch smart programs, it's easy to cook delicious chicken wings, roasted veggies, cinnamon buns and more.
The easy to use display shows each stage of cooking, and the air fryer is easily cleaned with the non-stick, dishwasher safe air fry basket and tray. Plus, there's no need to preheat thanks to fast preheating, and cooking is a breeze with adjustable temperatures from 95 to 400° F. Perfect for growing families!
- EvenCrisp Technology - for perfect frying every time with 95% less oil
- One-touch smart programs - make it easy to cook chicken wings, roasted veggies, cinnamon buns and more
- Fast preheating - so there's no need to wait around
- Non-stick, dishwasher safe air fry basket and tray - for easy cleaning
- Adjustable temperatures from 95 to 400° F - for perfect results every time
The only downside to this air fryer is that it doesn't have a lot of extra features like some of the other models on this list. But it's a great basic air fryer that gets the job done.
Ninja AF161 Max XL Air Fryer
Looking for a healthier way to enjoy your favorite fried foods? Look no further than the Ninja AF161 Max XL Air Fryer!
This incredible kitchen appliance uses superheated air to cook foods with up to 75% less fat than traditional frying methods, making it a guilt-free way to indulge in your favorite comfort foods.
The Ninja AF161 also features Max Crisp Technology, which delivers 450 degrees of superheated air to cook food up to 30% faster for hot, crispy results.
Plus, the extra-large 5.5 qt capacity ceramic coated nonstick basket and crisper plate can accommodate 3 pounds of French fries or chicken wings, making it perfect for large gatherings. And with 7 versatile cooking programs including Air Fry, Roast, Bake, Reheat, Dehydrate, and more, the possibilities are endless!
Max Crisp Technology - for hot, crispy results up to 30% faster
Extra-large capacity - perfect for large gatherings
Ceramic coated nonstick basket and crisper plate - easy to clean
Seven versatile cooking programs - for endless possibilities
The only downside to this air fryer is that it's a bit on the pricey side. But with all of the features and versatility, it's definitely worth the investment.
Breville BOV860BSS Smart Oven Air Fryer
The Breville BOV860BSS Smart Oven Air Fryer with Element iQ System is the perfect appliance for anyone who loves fried foods but doesn't want all the guilt that comes with them.
This oven uses super convection to reduce cooking time by up to 30% and deliver crispy air fried foods with minimal oil and fat. The ELEMENT iQ SYSTEM uses 5 independent quartz elements to steer power to where and when it's needed to create the ideal cooking environment.
Sensing and digital PID temperature control eliminates cold spots for precise and even cooking. And the dedicated air fry setting gives you perfect results every time. So now you can enjoy your favorite fried foods without all the guilt.
Super convection - for reduced cooking time up to 30%
Element iQ System - for precise and even cooking
Dedicated air fry setting - for perfect results every time
The only thing I don't like about this oven is that the air fryer basket is a bit small. But other than that, it's a great appliance.
Ninja DZ201 Foodi 8 Quart 6-in-1 DualZone 2-Basket Air Fryer
The Ninja DZ201 Foodi 8 Quart 6-in-1 DualZone 2-Basket Air Fryer is the perfect appliance for the busy home cook. With two independent baskets, you can cook two foods at the same time, eliminating the need for back-to-back cooking. The smart finish feature allows you to cook two foods that finish at the same time, while the match cook function easily copies settings across zones for full 8-qt capacity. This versatile air fryer also includes six cooking programs: air fry, air broil, roast, bake, reheat, and dehydrate. So whether you're cooking a quick snack or a full meal, the Ninja DZ201 Foodi 8 Quart 6-in-1 Dual Zone Air Fryer has you covered.
Two independent baskets - for simultaneous cooking
Smart finish feature - for perfectly cooked foods that finish at the same time
Match cook function - easily copies settings across zones
Six cooking programs - for a variety of cooking options
What we loved about this air fryer was that it was easy to clean and had a lot of features. What we didn't love was that it was a bit on the noisy side. But overall, this is a great appliance for the busy home cook.
What to Look for in an Air Fryer
Now that you know all about air fryers and some of the best ones on the market, it’s time to choose the perfect one for you. Here are a few things to keep in mind when shopping for an air fryer:
- Size - Choose an air fryer that’s big enough to fit the amount of food you want to cook.
- Type of food - Not all air fryers are created equal. Some are better suited for frying chicken than others.
- Price - Air fryers can range in price from $30 to $200. Choose one that fits your budget.
- Features - Some air fryers come with additional features like a timer or automatic shut-off. Decide which features are important to you.
Air fryers are a popular kitchen appliance, and for good reason. They offer a convenient and healthy way to cook food. But with so many options on the market, it can be hard to know which air fryer to choose. Here are a few things to look for when selecting an air fryer:
1. Capacity: One of the first things to consider when choosing an air fryer is capacity.
How much food do you want to be able to cook at one time? Air fryers come in a variety of sizes, from small models that can cook a single serving, to large models that can feed a family.
Consider how often you’ll use your air fryer and choose the size that best fits your needs.
- Small: If you’re cooking for one or two people, a small air fryer is a good option. Small air fryers typically have a capacity of two to four quarts.
- Medium: Medium-sized air fryers are a good choice if you have a larger family or entertain often. These air fryers usually have a capacity of five to seven quarts.
- Large: Large air fryers are the best choice if you have a large family or entertain often. These air fryers can typically hold eight quarts or more.
- Extra-large: Extra-large air fryers are the best choice if you have a very large family or entertain often. These air fryers can hold nine quarts or more.
Air fryer capacity is measured in quarts. One quart is equal to four cups.
Some air fryers come with multiple baskets that allow you to cook more than one food at a time. If you think you’ll use this feature, look for an air fryer with multiple baskets. Most air fryers have a timer that will automatically turn off the unit when the food is done cooking. This is a helpful feature if you’re worried about overcooking your food.
Some air fryers come with a temperature control so you can set the temperature to ensure your food is cooked the way you like it. Some air fryers come with a digital display that shows the time and temperature.
This can be helpful if you want to keep an eye on the cooking process. Air fryers vary in price, depending on the size and features. Smaller air fryers typically cost less than $100, while larger air fryers can cost more than $200. When choosing an air fryer, consider your budget and the features that are most important to you.
Now that you know what to look for, it’s time to start shopping for your air fryer! Be sure to check out our list of the best air fryers on the market.
What can you cook in an air fryer?
There are a ton of things you can cook in an air fryer! One of the great things about air fryers is that they can cook food quickly and evenly, so you can really experiment with different recipes.
Air fryers work by circulating hot air around the food, so they’re perfect for cooking things like french fries or chicken wings. But you can also use them to cook a variety of other foods. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Vegetables: You can air fry just about any vegetable, from broccoli to sweet potatoes. Just chop them up into bite-sized pieces, toss with some oil, and cook at a high temperature until they’re tender and crispy.
- Meat: Air fryers are great for cooking all kinds of meat, from chicken to steak. Just be sure to cook the meat at a high temperature so it doesn’t dry out.
- Fish: Fish is one of the healthiest things you can eat, and it’s also quick and easy to cook in an air fryer. Just coat the fish in a bit of oil and cook at a high temperature for a few minutes, until it’s flakey and cooked through.
- Fruit: Yes, you can even air fry fruit! Try coating sliced apples or strawberries in a bit of sugar and cinnamon, then air frying them until they’re tender and caramelized.
- Baked goods: You can use your air fryer to bake things like cookies, cakes, and even pizza! Just be sure to use a bit of oil to prevent sticking, and cook at a lower temperature so the food doesn’t burn.
Besides the most basic things you can air fry there are specific foods you can air fry as well, which include;
- French fries
- Chicken wings
- Fish fillets
- Egg rolls/spring rolls
- cooked chicken or pork chops
As you can see, there are a ton of things you can cook in an air fryer. So what are you waiting for? Get cooking!
Air Fryer FAQ
Is air-fried food healthy?
It can be, if you're mindful of what you're frying.
Air frying is a great way to cook food without using a lot of oil, and it's especially good for foods that tend to stick to the pan or get soggy when cooked in water (like chicken breasts). The key is to not overload the air fryer with food, and to make sure that whatever you're frying is coated in a thin layer of oil or cooking spray.
That said, not all air-fried foods are healthy. In fact, some air fryers come with pre-set programs for deep-frying french fries and onion rings, which means they're loaded with unhealthy trans fats. So if you're using an air fryer to make healthier versions of your favorite fried foods, be sure to check the nutrition information before you start cooking.
Is it worth getting an air fryer?
An air fryer can be a great way to enjoy some of your favorite foods without all the added fat. They work by circulating hot air around the food, which cooks it and gives it a crispy texture.
Some people find that they take a little getting used to, since they are a bit different from traditional frying methods. But overall, they are a healthy and convenient way to cook food, and they can save you some calories in the process. So if you're looking for an easy way to enjoy fried foods without all the added guilt, an air fryer may be worth considering.
Final Thoughts to What is an Air Fryer
If you’ve been on the fence about getting an air fryer, stop thinking and just do it! They are incredibly simple to use and provide fantastic results. You can cook a wide variety of foods in them, from chicken to fish to French fries.
We’ve shared with you some of the best air fryers on the market today, so there’s no excuse not to get one. And if you decide that an air fryer isn’t for you after all, be sure to check out our other kitchen appliance recommendations – we know you won’t be disappointed!